My Quest for the Perfect Trdlo

Sooooo long story short Prague was amazing....literally already excited to go back in July.....

Our long weekend started with a flight out of Dusseldorf last Thursday. The flight was only an hour (which was literally a surprise to us lol), and once we landed we were able to exchange our money and get public transportation right into the city. Turns out our hotel was also in a prime location (again, a welcome surprise). We asked the hotel for some dinner recommendations and were on our way out.

Here's an idea of how beautiful the city looked, even on our first, overcast day.





And, of course, our dinner. SO yummy.
And after dinner, I discovered the love of my life (and no, it was not my boyfriend, who I happened to be traveling with) (sorry, Dana). The Trdlo. Aka, a cinnamon sugar doughnut in a cone shape, filled with whatever you want (I always chose ice cream).

How they're made

My two loves
On Friday we had a whole day tour of a former WWII concentration camp. I don't want to go into the details too much, because I really think this is an opportunity everyone should take advantage of at some point, but this was a really eye opening and sobering experience. I think the most striking thing to me was that this was a stop off point for Nazi enemies before getting sent to camps like Auschwitz and Treblinka, and it looked just like a normal town. AND, regular people live there today. I personally can't imagine living in such a place, but as our guide explained, they really do all have their own reasons behind it. 

After the tour, we had a yummy ramen dinner, and went on a boat tour! You know me and my boats.



On Saturday we did a lot of general exploring around the city. We had a tour scheduled for that afternoon which unfortunately had to get moved to Sunday, but we had an awesome time checking out the Prague castle (we love castles) and walking around the city.

View from the castle

Prague Castle


Inside the castle


Cathedral at the Prague Castle
Center Square

After our day of exploring, we spontaneously booked probably the best thing we did in Prague-- a traditional Czech dinner and entertainment.

The room


The yummy food

The stage that Dana got pulled up on!!
On Sunday, we did the previously mentioned tour we had planned and did some more general exploring. By that point we were pretty exhausted, so as much as we absolutely LOVED Prague, we were ready for a good night's sleep. Another incredibly successful trip experiencing a culture I had previously known so little about. 

Next up, Dublin and Edinburgh. Like legit right now. Packing is urgent at this point....bis gleich...!

Comments

Popular Posts